Pages

winning london pt 1: twenty-three hours of travel later...

Sunday 27 August 2017

I made it to London! Only keep reading if you want to hear me whine about the amount of babies and sitting I just did.


So, my first flight was 14 hours long, from Sydney to Abu Dhabi, and let me tell you--I did not plan this one as well as I planned my flight to Sydney of an identical time.

For some reason I completely forgot about the possibility that I might get put in a middle seat (because I booked through a third party) and lo and behold--I fucking was. Fourteen hours of not being sure what side to lean on so I could fall asleep. On the plus side, the airline I was on had little headrest things so you could lean your head specifically, but I've never been happier that I brought my own pillow because that thing was a damn godsend when I was trying to fall asleep.

I also have now caught up on every new release ever so everyone feel free to talk to me about those.

I actually managed to sleep on the flight, though, so I'm not sure if I'm evolving or if I'm just heavily dependent on sleeping pills to do it, now. The rest of it was pretty uneventful (it was dark the whole time we were in the air). When we finally landed in Abu Dhabi I was ecstatic because I assumed that the long part was over.

Oh, how I was wrong.

The layover itself was painless, and since I had managed to sleep on the previous flight I kind of just stood around and checked my phone. It was then that I noticed there were a lot of crying toddlers and babies in the same gate as me, and that was when I started praying to every god I knew that they weren't on my flight.

Spoiler alert: they were; they all were. This flight did not go ten minutes without a full-on temper tantrum happening in one of the seating zones. My zone actually had a kid that stopped screaming at full volume for maybe thirty minutes, and I'm being generous.

On top of that, I was in a window seat (yay!), but the two men sitting next to me were both very tall, and the one in the middle was very old and would not stop trying to talk to me, even when I had my headphones in. Which, whatever, millenials are annoying and anti-social, I get it, but I am trying to watch the Lego Batman movie here, sir.

He also had the most disgusting habit of snorting his mucus down into his throat every minute or so, or alternatively, coughing really loud wet coughs, so don't feel too bad for him.

Just when I thought I would never sit properly on my tailbone again, we landed in London! Customs was a breeze (the guard laughed because I was so excited to finally get a stamp on my passport) and after the longest wait for my bags ever, I was off into the city.

baby's first passport stamp!


I had painstakingly researched the route to take to the Hostel I'm staying in because I knew I wouldn't have any way to figure out where I'm going, and in theory I had it all figured out--

are you even in London if one of the trains isn't having a problem?

--except for there was a major delay and the train I needed to transfer to wasn't running at the stations I was waiting for it. Luckily (since I am Very Smart but also if you read the station maps I feel like the tube is pretty easy to figure out), I got to the tube line I needed and arrived at my hostel, where luckily I could shower and not feel like death warmed up.



Which is where I'm at, now. I'm not really sure if I'm tired yet, but I got some snacks and I'm pretty content to chill and maybe go grab a drink at the hostel bar tonight. Tomorrow I will be exploring! And then the day after that, Matt and I meet up at our AirBNB and I couldn't be more excited. So, on that note, I'm gonna maybe fall asleep while eating Cool Ranch Doritos (you guys don't even know how excited I am to be back in a country with them. it's worth the allergic reaction).





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS