Pages

I'm alive! Though the heat might kill me.

Wednesday 29 March 2017


Oh my God, you guys. It's been a week today since I left. Sort of, time zones are weird. Anyway, our internet finally started working like two days ago so here is my first week recap! This update is gonna be a long one, so buckle up, kiddies.


My flight was pretty great! When we got there, the guy felt so bad that I had to pay an extra $200 for my third bag (something I was aware of) that when my sister wanted to pay to upgrade me to a seat with loads of seat space, he told us not to worry about it. So, yay United Airlines!

I was that asshole on the plane with like three carry-ons, because I brought my pillows with me. United kept paging "If you would like to check your bags then we'll do it for free!!!" and looking hopefully at me but, uhm, I had to pay $200 for an extra checked bag, my pillow is coming on the flight.

My stopover in SFO was uneventful, except that my gate was literally on the other side of the weirdest shaped airport I've ever seen. It was like a fifteen minute walk, and I was already mega-exhausted so when I got to the gate I pretty much parked myself at an outlet and enjoyed the wifi.

not pictured: the group of people on seats around me wondering why I'm on the floor

My flight was pretty good! I ate free food, watched Moana, had a shitton of extra leg space, and managed to catch some bouts of sleep.




Arriving was stressful; I dunno if you Aussies know this but we love watching your Border Security on TV, and I was really nervous I was about to be one of those people they detain because of suspicious bags or something. Except I literally breezed through customs and walked straight out into Sydney (and the muggy, oppressive humidity).

Dani greeted me with a balloon:


A post shared by Célina (@celinagabrielle) on

and we took loads of Snaps but I didn't save any! It's probably for the best, anyway, since I hadn't showered in a day and had been on an airplane for a combined 17 hours.

The first day was a bit of a blur, honestly. I got a phone and a bank account, and even got a bed and a mattress (courtesy of my roommate! <3) so I could sleep. Our friend Bianka came in from Melbourne that weekend too so we all got to hang out, which was lovely!

oooh, aaaaaah, so pretty (legit though this is the best bedframe ever god bless my roommate)

Possibly the best and most hilarious thing to happen is that when I got to my room, there was a little spider on the ceiling. It was about the size of a regular Canadian house spider (like definitely A Size but nothing I hadn't seen) and, as someone who had been dreading seeing spiders in Australia, it was pretty hilarious.

And, yeah, I got Dani to kill it for me.

We all passed out at like nine o'clock that night (thank goodness) and woke up the next morning and went on an adventure with us three and our friend Akky.

We went out to Bondi Beach!

Oh. My. God.

You guys. Canada, listen. We have 'beaches', but we do not have BEACHES.


A post shared by Célina (@celinagabrielle) on



A post shared by Célina (@celinagabrielle) on

I'm in awe. I cannot wait until I can try surfing and swimming in that thing. Also, the brunches in Sydney are no fucking joke, they are delicious and filling and I ate so much the weekend I got here I thought I would die.

We went out and got a few drinks (which were delicious) and then danced a bit and went home and I passed right out.

I'm still thinking about this cider? What am I gonna do when I'm back home. Can I smuggle this home?
The next morning was pretty uneventful. I think I was just dead to the world and couldn't really do anything more than eat food and drink coffee. That night we went out with a few of Dani's friends, got a few hot mess photos (and some really cute ones) and then danced like mad. It was pretty damn great.


look, ma, I made it into a club photo! amazing. spectacular. truly.
This past week (after the chaos that was the weekend) has been uneventful. I've been applying for every job in Sydney and making dinner and being a very good new Working Holiday Visa resident. We went to Ikea to get some more essentials and hopefully in another couple of weeks our apartment will be completely set up!

I am wearing pants, I swear. Like, there are shorts there.
So, the weather is a weird thing I'm getting used to. When I originally looked at the weather forecast and saw that it was gonna be 29 degrees with rain I thought that it would be like those lovely summer storms we get in Vancouver.

Uhm, no. It's humid and muggy and I am extremely not used to it. I have no idea how to dress without ending up like a swamp monster. My poor Canadian skin is freaking out and turning me into some kind of sweat faucet. But I am enjoying the chance at summer before we head into Sydney's winter (which is like our spring... keep up, you guys).

Though I am told this is an unnatural amount of rain we've been getting, because Cyclone Debbie just hit the coast above us and so we're getting the fallout. I dunno why but I never expected it to be this windy here (not complaining, that wind is a godsend). I will say, though, you'd expect your windows to be double-paned in a city with this much wind, but I guess you don't need to keep heat in that much here.

The birds here are super loud, all the time; like, they clock-in at 4am and do not get off work until about 1am the next day. Magpies literally sound like a weird baby/cat hybrid, and I'm still getting used to it; Kookaburras are hilarious and I love hearing them, and then there's a million other ones.

Plus, the crickets start up at night, every night, and make me feel like it's summer in the Okanagan.

Aside from not having a job yet (which, if you know me, is something I will not shut the fuck up about until I get one), I'm really falling in love with this place. I couldn't tell you why, but sometimes I just walk by the view from our front window and my bedroom window and feel so happy with life.





The number one thing everyone in Sydney seems to want to ask me when they find out I'm from Canada is if it's true some people keep their doors to their cars and houses unlocked in case of bears or rampaging moose.

I don't know how to answer this! It is true that in some small towns they do that, but it's like? People don't do this is Vancouver, which is where I'm from. But the stereotype following me around is adorable and I won't dispute it ever.

Also, people are really into Trudeau here which means I have to bite my tongue a lot, because I have thoughts on him.

As a side note, you should all absolutely be following me on twitter. Chances are I'll update that way more often than this blog (seeing as it's mini status updates) and also, I'm hilarious.



I ALSO have a Snapchat, which is celinagabrielle, and a curiouscat for questions! Basically come watch me be obnoxious as hell while I job hunt and talk about the weather.

I'm gonna end this recap with a video of a bird in a restaurant that we were in, because it's perfectly Australian:



See y'all later!

Célina

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS